This question is asked by so many people everyday. My best friend will say to me, “Maria, I feel so old! Am I supposed to have this many wrinkles at our age?” Feeling “old” is a state of mind in my opinion. Wrinkles, the doctors (Katie Rodan and Kathy Fields) say it best, “The best wrinkle is the one we never get.” Let’s think about that statement for a minute. At some point in our lives, we are all going to end up with wrinkles. Getting rid of wrinkles can be done but can be costly and painful. Taking care of our skin now is so much easier and less costly.
Yes, we can go see a plastic surgeon and have them draw lines all over our face. A little nip here a little tuck here. Lift this and hide it in your hairline. Inject botox here and you might not be able to move your face for awhile but come back and see me in a few months so we can do this again. I am all for plastic surgery. I have a double chin. I’d love for it to not be there. But, you know what, this is who I am. I get my double chin from my great grandma who I adored. My daughter is named after her. So, I will keep it and think of her when it comes out, and I will smile. My nose, it’s big. Another annoying feature I get from my mom’s side. And yes, I am self conscious of it and would definitely run to a plastic surgeon to give me a cute nose.
I don’t want you to think I’m knocking plastic surgeons, because I’m not. We all see flaws that we wish we could get rid of, and maybe surgery is your answer. But, when it comes to wrinkles, there is no reason that you should have to go under the knife to get rid of them especially if you are diligent and take care of your skin. It doesn’t matter what age you are when you start taking your skincare routine seriously, as long as you start. There are even ways to reduce the appearance of those wrinkles.
Did you know that when we turn 30 we loose 1% elastin in our skin each year? This is when our skin will slowly start to sag. Here are some ways to slow the process, or help firm up your skin.
- I can’t stress enough how important it is to make sure you and your skin stays hydrated. Think about a grape, it’s juicy and full of water; nice and plump. Take all the juice out and you are left with a wrinkly raisin. Our skin acts the same way.
- What happens when we get too much sun? We cook our skin. It gets dry, and when our skin is dry…see above. If you are going to be in the sun, make sure you are protected. Find a sunscreen that works for you and find a cute hat to rock!!
- You know how our kid’s cheeks get chapped in the Winter? Adults get it too. The cold air and wind cause our skin to dry up and we are constantly trying to keep it hydrated.
So how can we combat all the dryness? What can we use to hydrate our skin? Rodan and Fields came out with Active Hydration Serum earlier this year. I love this product and a little bit goes a long way. It glides on really nice and provides you the perfect amount of hydration that our skin needs.
Am I too old for a skincare routine?
What about those of us no longer in our prime but don’t want to look it? This is for those of us over 30 and starting to see wrinkles or already have wrinkles. Maybe your grandkids crack you up so much it’s showing. Maybe you were a sun worshiper in your youth and it’s really showing. I don’t know about you but needles scare the bajesus out of me. So botox and I would not get along. I pass out at the sight of a needle. Don’t worry my dear, it’s never too late to start taking care of your skin. Just know your skin is an investment. If you want products that are going to work and give you results it will be worth the investment.
- Look for products that contain peptides or hyaluronic acid. Peptides encourage collagen production while hyaluronic acid helps keep you skin plump and hydrated. Retinol is another great ingredient which helps prevent the breakdown of collagen. And look for products containing Vitamin C, it helps to neutralize free radicals in the skin. These are just a few of the main ingredients you want to look for.
- Rodan and Fields offers this amazing tool, it’s called the AMP MD. The science behind it and what it can do for your skin is freaking awesome!!
At the end of the day, you don’t need to go under the knife to have great skin or to have that youthful look you desire. Just find the right products that work for you and start taking care of your skin. It is our largest organ after all, treat it well.